Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Classic Guacamole

Oh, how I love this stuff!! Too bad I only made half a recipe though.

4 T. finely chopped white onion, divided (I didn't use this much)
1 T. plus 1 1/2 tsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1 or 2 fresh serrano or jalepeno peppers*, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
2 lg. soft avocados
1 med. tomato, chopped
1 to 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
Corn Tortilla Chips

*Serrano and jalepeno peppers can sting and irritate the skin; wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not tough eyes. Wash hands after handling. (This is very important! And no younger sister, I will not be sharing of how I personally know this. lol)

Combine 2 T. onion, 1 T. cilantro, peppers and garlic in a large mortar. Grind with pestle until almost smooth. (Mixture can be processed in blender, if necessary, but it will become more watery than desired.)
Cut avocados lengthwise into halves; remove and discard pits. Scoop out avocado flesh; place in bowl. Add pepper mixture. Mash roughly; Leaving avocado slightly chunky. (I used a potato masher).
Add tomato, lime juice, salt and remaining 2 T. onion and 1 1/2 tsp. cilantro to avocado mixture; mix well. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hrs. Serve with corn tortilla chips.
Makes 2 cups.

2 comments:

  1. Oh please let me tell!! They loved it at work the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would seak revenge but I can't think of anything you have ever done bad enough to pay you back! lol

    ReplyDelete

Friends who stopped by.