Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bread Crumbs

I never throw away bread. I always keep stale bread, buns and rolls to use when I make bread crumbs. I always have a bag of scraps of bread that I keep in the freezer and I just add to that until I get ready to make bread crumbs.

First of all, place bread in a food processor.



Process until the crumbs is the texture that you like. I like mine real fine.



Spread the crumbs out in a rimmed baking pan and bake at 350, stirring every 10 minutes. This takes about 20-30 minutes.



Once the bread is dry enough, I let it cool in the pan and then...




place back in my food processor to bread up the chunks and make it fine again.



I then place my crumbs in a container that I had once bought bread crumbs in.



Put the lid on and place in the freezer until ready to use.



To make Italian Bread crumbs, add 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend to every 2 c. of crumbs before baking.

Yes, this does take some extra time but I like it because I would normally just be throwing this bread away anyway. I can also add whatever spices I want to he bread crumbs to make the flavor that I need for a certain recipe and I like that.

Recipe from Cheap. Fast. Good. cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. I really have to start making this, didn't even think of putting it in the freezer. I usually make bread pudding or just cut the crumbs into tiny pieces as needed in various recipes but this is a great idea. I also love the seasoning ideas.
    Thanks Tammi for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete

Friends who stopped by.