Thursday, May 28, 2009

Southern Cornbread

href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mk91qBVbrU4/Sh5oyukA0dI/AAAAAAAAApk/Mvg4pdNr1nU/s1600-h/Soup+Beans.jpg">

Doreen over at doreenscreativespace.blogspot asked me for my cornbread recipe. This recipe came from White Lily.

2 c. self-rising corn meal
1 1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. melted shortening

1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 450. Grease 8-inch ovenproof skillet or square pan; place in oven for 5 minutes to melt shortening.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine corn meal, buttermilk and egg; mix well. Pour shortening in and return skillet to oven for another 5 minutes. Mix the shortening in well. (I leave a small amount of the shortening in the bottom of my skillet so my bread won't stick.)

After your skillet has heated for the full 10 minutes, I use about 2 T. of corn meal and sprinkle in the bottom of my skillet then pour batter into the skillet. Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I hope you enjoy Doreen!

1 comment:

  1. WOW that was fast Tammi, thanks so much for posting this...hmm the shortening and egg won't be a problem LOL but I do hope I will find cornmeal and buttermilk, I will let you know some time next week when I go for my groceries. Can't wait to try it!
    Have a great weekend : )

    ReplyDelete

Friends who stopped by.